Characterized by damage to the spinal cord or nerves at the base of the spinal canal, spinal cord injuries (SCI) are some of the most catastrophic that one could sustain. These often irreversible injuries usually require invasive treatments, physical therapy, and rehabilitation that are costly and long-term.
The World Health Organization lists motor vehicle accidents as one of the leading causes of spinal cord injuries globally. Since SCI remains a persistent issue, it’s important to understand how these injuries occur in car accidents and what can be done to prevent them.
How Crashes Cause SCI
There are many ways that a car crash can cause spinal cord injury. The most common is when the victim’s head and neck are whipped back and forth in a whiplash motion. This sudden movement can cause significant soft-tissue damage to intervertebral discs and the spinal cord.
Other ways that car accidents can cause SCI include:
- Direct impact to the spine
- Pinching or compression of the spinal cord
- Fracturing or dislocation of the vertebrae
Being ejected from the vehicle can also cause these injuries.
There are a few things you can do to help prevent SCI in the event of a motor vehicle accident:
- Wear a seatbelt – This is the most important thing you can do. A seat belt will help keep your body in the proper position and reduce the risk of being ejected from the vehicle.
- Use a headrest – A properly positioned headrest helps protect your neck and spine in the event of a rear-end collision. Make sure the headrest is level with your head.
- Sit up straight – Maintaining good posture while driving will help reduce the strain on your spine and neck. Slouching puts you at an increased risk for injuries in the event of a crash.
Los Angeles Car Accident Attorneys
Catastrophic injuries like spinal cord injuries are costly and have significant impacts on your day-to-day life. Our LA attorneys are eager to help you on your road to recovery by advocating for your right to compensation from the individual who caused you harm. Schedule a free consultation with the Effres & Effres team today by calling