Skip to Content

Blogs from December, 2022

a small dark-colored car crashes into the side of a light-colored car, there is a police car in the background

How to Handle a Collision When You’re Not a State Resident

When you're in an accident that wasn't your fault, the last thing you want to worry about is whether or not you will even be able to file a claim. Unfortunately, though, out-of-state accidents can be a bit more complicated than those within your home state. This blog will help to clear up some of the confusion and explain what you should do if you find yourself in this situation.

What is Different About Out-of-State Crashes?

One of the main differences between out-of-state and in-state accidents is the jurisdiction in which the accident will be tried. This can become complicated, especially if you live in one state and the other driver involved lives in another. In this case, it is best to consult with an attorney who is familiar with the laws in the state where the accident occurred.

Can I Hire My Hometown Attorney?

You have the right to choose whichever attorney you feel most comfortable with. However, it is important to keep in mind that your attorney may need to be licensed in the state in which the accident occurred in order to be able to complete your case.

What to Do After an Out-of-State Crash

If you are involved in an out-of-state accident, the best thing to do is to seek medical attention immediately, if needed. Once you have been seen by a medical professional, you should then contact your insurance company and explain the situation. Your insurance company will be able to guide you through the next steps of filing a claim.

It is important to keep in mind that the claims process for an out-of-state accident may be different than what you are used to. For this reason, it is always best to consult with your insurance company or an attorney before taking any action. Taking these steps will help to ensure that your claim is filed correctly and in a timely manner.

If you were injured in a crash in California, the team at Effres & Effres can help. Our experienced attorneys have nearly 40 years of personal injury experience and can walk you through the process. Call (818) 222-9720 today to discuss your options.


Most Recent Posts from December, 2022